The university began its educational activity aiming at reinforcing the old education but improving the organization with rules based on the “Old Rules” (“Estatutos Viejos”) which remained unchanged until 1707. During the French invasion, the building was occupied by Napoleon’s troops and all academic activity was cancelled until they were expelled.
Many famous characters such as Benito Feijóo, Pedro Rodriquez Campomanes, Leopoldo Alas “Clarin” and Aniceto Sela y Sampil have studied in this university.
The historic building was the work of Architect Rodrigo Gil de Hontañon. Sober and with a square floor, it has a central renaissance style courtyard where stands the statue of the university founder. Amongst the scarce ornamentation on its façade, stands out the coat of arms of the Valdés family.
The stamp depicts the main corner of the university building and the commemorative logo of the 400 Anniversary of the University of Oviedo (IV Centenario Universidad de Oviedo 1608-2008).